In the opinion of these card loving Nonsense Makers, wholesale greeting cards are a staple item in most retail spaces, and an important part of the overall customer journey and shopping experience. Buying a beautiful gift? A unique hand illustrated greeting card is the perfect finishing touch!
Wholesale greeting cards are a popular, affordable, and versatile item that can appeal to a wide range of customers. This blog will take you through the best-selling greeting card occasions and designs, what to look for in a supplier, and our recession proof theory for stocking wholesale greeting cards in Australia!
Selecting the best wholesale greeting cards
Wholesale ordering can be mind boggling. Choosing the right range of greeting cards is important otherwise you could end up sold out of all your best sellers within weeks, and left with a bunch of slow moving stock taking up space on your shelves. Pus some occasions are just more popular than others!
Which greeting card occasions are the most popular for wholesale?
1) Wholesale birthday cards
Wholesale Birthday cards are always a popular. Birthdays are a great occasion for sending cards, and there are lots of them, all year round, every year!
Tip: When placing your order for wholesale greeting cards we recommend including a high ratio of birthday cards, around 50% should do the trick!
Our best-selling wholesale birthday cards
2) Wholesale Christmas cards
Wholesale Christmas cards are a close second to birthday cards in Australia because they are seasonal. These sell well because people give multiple Christmas cards at one time, and often to individuals that wouldn’t usually receive gifts, for example work colleagues and overseas friends.
We recommend ordering wholesale Christmas cards at the end of September or early October so you can catch any early bird Christmas card shoppers. People sending Christmas cards overseas often shop early to account for postal delays. By the beginning of November Christmas shopping is in full swing so have your wholesale Christmas cards ready!
Tip: Being a religious holiday consider your customer base when deciding if wholesale Christmas cards are appropriate for your store. Having said that, many Australians celebrate Christmas regardless of their religion!
Our best-selling wholesale Christmas cards
- Koala Christmas Tree - Christmas card
- Kangaroo Christmas - Christmas card
- Pa Rum Pum Pum Pum - Christmas card
3) Wholesale Mother's Day cards
Mother's Day is a special day to show our appreciation for the mums and mother figures in our lives. It is also one of the few times we express thanks and gratitude for everything mum does for us!
Tip: Being a single day event we recommend ordering a few cards that say “Happy Mother’s Day”, and then the bulk as general “mum” cards. These can still be sold after Mother’s Day has passed as birthday cards, appreciation cards, etc.
Our best-selling wholesale Mother’s Day cards
- Mother’s Day Wreath - Mother's Day card
- Mum Sized Wine - Mother's Day card
- Letter For Mum - Mother's Day card
4) Wholesale Father's Day cards
Father's Day is a time to show appreciation for the dads in our lives. A greeting card is a thoughtful way to say thank you for everything they do.
Tip: Much like Mother’s Day, order a few cards that say “Happy Father’s Day”, and the rest as general “dad” cards. These can still be sold after the day has passed.
Our best-selling wholesale Father’s Day cards
- Father's Day Lion - Father's Day card
- Dad Sized Coffee - Father's Day card
- Eggcellent Dad - Father's Day card
5) Wholesale Valentine's Day cards
Valentine's Day is a day for lovers to express their love for each other. A greeting card is a classic way to say "I love you" and is the perfect accompaniment to a bunch of flowers or chocolates.
Tip: Love cards can double as wedding, anniversary, or even birthday cards for loved ones!
Our best-selling wholesale Valentine's Day cards
- Valentine’s Day Heart - Valentine’s Day card
- Heart of Flowers - Loving card
- I Love You More Than Cheese - Loving Card
6) Wholesale wedding cards
Wholesale wedding cards are very popular in Australia because man couples have a wishing well at their wedding, which requires a card to put money in.
Tip: Consider stocking some gender neutral wedding cards that’s can also be used for same sex weddings!
Our best-selling wholesale wedding cards
- Wedding Cake Bride & Groom - Wedding card
- Penguin Love - Loving card
- Wedding Swallows - Wedding card
7) Wholesale baby cards
Wholesale baby cards are a wonderful way to celebrate new life and congratulate new parents!
Tip: If you have a small card range opt for gender neutral baby cards, staying away from “It’s a boy” and “It’s a girl” cards. This way your customers have twice as many designs to choose from!
Our best-selling baby wedding cards
Some other important card occasions to note are anniversary, graduation, get well & sympathy, and thank you. We recommend having at least one card from each of these occasions to balance out your range. These cards will usually sell more slowly but are still great to have!
Why choosing popular greeting cards for wholesale is important
It goes without saying that greeting card retailers will benefit from ordering the most popular wholesale greeting cards because they are more likely to sell. Here are some important benefits that shop owners can enjoy by ordering the most popular wholesale greeting cards:
- Increased sales - By stocking the most popular cards, you can increase your chances of making a sale.
- Reduced inventory risk - If you order cards that are not popular, you may be left with unsold cards. This can lead to financial losses.
- Increased customer satisfaction - When customers can find the cards they are looking for they are more likely to be satisfied with their shopping experience.
- Enhanced brand image - By stocking a wide selection of popular cards you can create a positive image for your business.
What to look for in wholesale greeting card suppliers
In the big wide world of wholesale greeting cards there are seemingly infinite options, but some are definitely better than others. Find a reliable wholesale greeting card supplier that can meet your needs without compromising on quality and sustainability.
Here are some important qualities to look for in your wholesale greeting card supplier.
- High quality - Beautiful paper and sharp printing quality makes a big difference in the look and feel of a card, and gives it more value.
- A large selection of wholesale greeting cards – Be able to choose from many designs so you can rotate stock and keep a fresh selection of cards without having to change suppliers.
- Flexible wholesale orders size – Find a wholesale greeting card supplier that has low minimums for small top up orders, with the option to fill large orders quickly so you can to save on shipping and increase your profit margin.
- Australian Made – By choosing wholesale greeting cards that are Australian made you are the helping local economy and supporting Australian small businesses.
- Ethical and sustainable – Some important things to look out for are FSC certifications, use of recycled materials, ethical labour practices, and local production methods to lower environmental impact of international shipping,
- Artist designed – When wholesale greeting cards are created by an artist you have the option to work together and create unique and creative cards. This can help to differentiate your store from the competition.
Why wholesale greeting cards are recession-proof in Australia
As Australian wholesale greeting card suppliers we have noticed neither retail nor wholesale greeting card sales change dramatically when times get tough – and can even be a bit better! So why is this?
With the recent cost of living pressures in Australia, people are being more careful with their spending. They may be less likely to buy expensive gifts or experiences, and instead opt for more affordable options. Greeting cards are a thoughtful way to express yourself without breaking the bank. They are also a relatively small purchase, so people can afford them on a tight budget.
In addition, greeting cards can be a way to show someone that you care. This can be especially important during difficult times, when people may be feeling isolated or alone. A thoughtful greeting card can let someone know that you are thinking of them and that you care about them.
The Australian cost of living crisis is hitting the retail market more and more each day, which is why wholesale greeting cards are a good investment during these tough times.
Join our world: become a friend of The Nonsense Maker
Did you enjoy these Father’s Day cards ideas and inspiration? We update our blog regularly with handy tips, tricks, and ideas for fellow Nonsense Makers. Scroll down to the footer to sign up to our mailing list, and we will let you know when there are new articles to be read!